Orders of the Sentry
Take charge of this post and all government property in view.
Walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
Report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
Quit my post only when properly relieved.
Receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and officers and petty officers of the watch only.
Talk to no one except in the line of duty.
Give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
Call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.
Salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
Be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.
Proper Format for Saying an Order to the Sentry
Inspecting/Senior Officer: “Cadet, what is your first order to the sentry?”
Cadet: “Sir, this cadets first order to the sentry is: To take charge of this post and all government property in view, sir.”
Principles of Leadership
1) Know yourself and seek self improvement
2) Be technically proficient.
3) Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
4) Make sound and timely decisions.
5) Set the example.
6) Know your people and look out for their well-being.
7) Keep your workers informed.
8) Develop a sense of responsibility in your workers.
9) Ensure that tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.
10) Train as a team.
11) Use the full capabilities of your organization.